When building a house, it is important to plan for the garage during the early stages of the building process. Ideally, the planning for the garage should begin as soon as the overall floor plan and design of the house has been established.
Here are the key steps to take when planning a garage during the building process:
- Determine the size and location of the garage: Consider the size of your car(s) and any other storage needs you have. Decide on the best location for the garage in relation to the house, taking into account things like the location of the driveway and the view from the house.
- Decide on the type of garage door: Consider the style and material of the garage door, as well as any additional features such as windows or automation.
- Consider the access: Plan for the access to the garage, including the location of the door, the driveway and the walkway from the garage to the house.
- Electrical and lighting: Plan for the electrical and lighting needs in the garage, such as outlets, lighting fixtures, and a ceiling fan if you plan to use the garage as a living space.
- Insulation: Plan for insulation in the garage, both for energy efficiency and for the comfort of the space.
- Hire a professional: Consult with a professional garage door supplier or a garage builder for the best options for your specific needs and preferences.
It’s important to plan for the garage in the early stages of the building process, as it will allow you to make sure that the garage fits seamlessly into the overall design of the house and that all of your needs are met.